Who is Fresh Doug Smith?
My name is Doug Smith. I’m a sales/operations management professional and aspiring entrepreneur from Metro Detroit, Michigan. I’m recently divorced, and a father of an amazingly creative 11 year old daughter. I’ve spent the last two decades working my butt off to emerge from extreme childhood poverty. I always wanted to ensure that my life as an adult would be at least 2X better than when I was a kid. Due to my work skills and willingness to do so my family will never go hungry, and will always have basic necessities, but my goal has always been more. My favorite quote of all time is “If better is possible, good is not enough” -Benjamin Franklin. As of the founding of the website I’m an average paid salaried manager for a marketing company. We have a great product, and great clients. Though we’re still a young company we reached the Inc 5000 after working our butts off for six years (I’ve been here for four) The bummer of it all is it’s not my company. Despite me being an employee I treat everyday as if I’m the owner of the company. I give all of myself to making sure we are successful in every aspect of the business. It can be exhausting at times. As I write this and think about the reason for building this blog I realize that the master plan isn’t going so well…I say it’s not going well because even though I bought a nice house, in a pretty good neighborhood, and my ex-wife and I drive new cars…. The fact is we only have these things because we are in debt for them. I work a lot just to maintain this standard of living that we created for ourselves prior to things falling apart and divorcing. To expand a little further on why It’s not going well I recently filed chapter 7 bankruptcy, and five months later filed for divorce. During this time my net worth was calculated at -$91k. This really had me taken aback. Ready for the climb…The climb I’m referring to is starting the bottom (maybe below the bottom) and working my way to where I want to be. Since before I can remember I’ve drawn strength and clarity from my goals. While my goals have evolved over the years it’s only within the last few years that they got BIG. I mean scary big. So big that most people I tell them to think I’m on something. Here are some of my LONG TERM GOALS. (Not necessarily in this order.)
- To own and control multiple companies that I can run from anywhere in the world.
- To employee thousands of people with the intent of improving their lives and the lives of our customers.
- To have a truly amazing life. A life where my family and I are focused on each other, our relationship and unforgettable life experiences.
- Found and run a nonprofit to honor my Mother. She always wanted to be an author, but lacked the resources and confidence to work towards her goal. I can only assume this is happening to others even in the modern era of the internet. I want to make sure that aspiring authors follow their dreams.
- Found and run a nonprofit to honor my Father. All he wanted to do was be a mechanic and work on cars, and while he had the natural ability, lacked the basic skills of reading and writing which severely limited his career options. I want to make sure that aspiring mechanics have the opportunity to follow their dreams.
- Be in the best shape of my life and feel good physically the vast majority of the time.
- Have complete Financial Freedom that allows me to do all of the things that are important to me. I don’t want to worry about minutia or what things cost, just what they are worth.
- Document my experiences and write books that will teach skills to millions of people.
- Invest in emerging technologies and businesses. Not just anything, but stuff that REALLY excites me.
- Have fun, be fulfilled and enjoy life every day.
- Be curious again and no so jaded.
- Leave planet Earth, visit outer space and set foot on another planet.
This list barely scratches the surface of what I want to accomplish in my life, but these are some of the big ones. I will periodically update my goals on the blog. The bottom line is….Financially, personally and emotionally I’m starting FRESH, but the good news is I have a ton of experience and education. This grows every single day and no one can take that away from me. I am determined to hit my targets and this website will document the ups and downs of the journey. It is my hope that I can inspire others on a similar journey a long the way.
Anything resources, tools, mentors, shortcuts, etc. that I find a long the way I will share with you in the resources tab, through the blog or via email. If you’d like to suggest something to me, please leave a comment or hit me up on social media. Thanks for visiting. -Doug SmithFounder of FreshDougSmith.com